It’s my birthday today. It’s one of those odd number birthdays that I can never really get behind. I think the only odd number birthday I was excited about was my 21st. I was 21 on the 21st. I liked that.
In honor of the day, I’m sharing 11 (odd number) things about me that you might not know.
1. I was very sick when I was a newborn – so sick that my parents had to leave me behind in the hospital. They finally got to bring me home on Thanksgiving. For years, every Thanksgiving meal was started with “Thank you for letting us bring home our daughter on this day.” My dad mentioned that to me the other day. It was the first time in a long time that we talked about it and it made me smile.
2. I have a dimple in my right cheek. I have a smaller one in my left cheek, as well. And I’m talking about my face. My parents love that dimple. (So does Don.) Mom used to give me ‘posing’ instructions for the annual school picture. I had to sit with that dimple facing the camera. No argument; Mom said to.
3. I cry very easily. I’m a sap.
4. I can burp on cue. Several times in a row. A lovely talent. My brother once told me burping like that would give me an ulcer, just to get me to stop. It worked. At least for a while.
5. I have brown eyes and one is a deeper shade of brown than the other. I actually didn’t realize that until a few years ago.
6. This is to be expected with the business I’m in, but I can speak in most any accent and can quickly imitate the way someone sounds. (Nothing malicious, mind you. Although if you cross me, watch out.)
7. I’ve been in 12 weddings. Just picture the many late 70’s – early 80’s bridesmaid dresses I wore. And the lovely hair-dos.
8. I often dance around the house. I’m not a dancer in any way, shape or form. Whenever I start to dance, Scout starts barking. Either she thinks something exciting is about to happen or she’s begging me to stop.
9. If I step into the shower and see a spider, I will turn off the shower to safely escort it to dry land. I’ve trained Don to do the same thing. We had a spider hanging out in our bathroom for such a long time that Don named him Sam. If I accidentally kill a bug, I feel terrible.
10. I know how to lash and can make a lean-to. Not that it comes up anymore. Just one of the skills I learned as a camp counselor oh-so-many years ago. I can tip a canoe, too.
11. I used to decorate the inside of my Barbie case with wallpaper from my godmother’s sample books. Then I’d fashion a hanging lamp with a pipecleaner and a dixie cup. You see? Even as a child I was decorating and re-arranging. Then I’d play Barbies with my godmother’s daughter, Kay, and proceed to tell her what her Barbie had to say. It was as if I had written the whole script. Bossy. My mom said my ‘directorial’ attitude used to make her want to throttle me. Who, me?
That’s all for now or you’ll know absolutely everything about me.