Vintage Find: Necco Candy Jar

Don and I drove to a favorite antique shop yesterday. The day was so beautiful that we had to get out of the house and pretend it was spring! Anyway, my plan was to look, not buy.

But then I saw this:

This is a vintage Necco Candies display jar.  It’s about 11 inches tall.

Look at the Art Deco-style graduated glass sides. It reminds me of the Chrysler Building. I’m a sucker for this style.

Swoon-worthy Deco graphics. Well, swoon-worthy for me.

I saw a vintage jar lot (4 or 5 fabulous designs) at auction last year. I bid on them, but they quickly went out of my price range. I’m fairly sure this jar was part of that lot. Since the auction is local, the buyers are usually local dealers. Several months ago, I saw an Art Deco-style jar with ridges in the design that I recognized from the auction lot in this very shop. I didn’t buy it and I kicked myself for it later. But, wonder of wonders, I got another chance.

I still hemmed and hawed. Could I justify the purchase?

Don started to list all the treasures I could display in the jar. (He gets us, ladies.) He suggested that I use it for a rotating display.

Okay, you talked me into it.

I’m not putting this in my studio. It will live in the living room and kitchen.

Would you leave some suggestions for treasures to display in the jar? Obviously, with Christmas coming, my first thought is vintage ornaments. Or pine cones (I have a slew of them, gathered from all the places I’ve lived.)

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

By the way, I used to live fairly close to a Necco factory in Cambridge, MA. And I love Neccos. So, it’s rather perfect, isn’t it?

Comments

1. vintage girl at heart says

What a find!! I love the lines of the jar too!! I think it would look lovely with bottle brush trees or vintage ornaments in it for Christmas and there are so many seasonal and holiday possibilities!!
    Also black and white photos of years past with a few clock or time embellies for New Years!
    I think I am a bit excited about your new find..lol!
    Blessings from a girl in one tiny house to another~

That’s an AWESOME find! I love old Necco stuff because, as you probably know, it’s VERY Cambridge. Right from my front yard almost. They still make Tootsie Rolls over on Main Street and you can smell them for blocks.

I’ve never even seen these before! And I love containers of every variety. You do realize that Don is a one-of-a-kind gem, don’t you? (Will that statement garner me Okie votes from him?) I love it! How about that old fashioned ribbon candy for Xmas? Buttons, sea shells, odd bits of lace, marbles, sea glass. A small terrarium look… I’m still thinking. Kitchen: anything that would fit. Dried beans, peas, etc.
    Brenda

Claudia, I love the Art Deco style- and this jar is beautiful. I could think of putting a little bottle brush tree -glittered -inside it.
    A great find.
    XO,Dorthe

Claudia, my first thought was lots of old wooden spools of thread in bright colors. That’s the nice thing about a jar like this. You can put anything that your heart desires inside and change it at a whim. Love it!

Love your
    Necco jar.
    All the comments gave me some ideas. I want to use my blue Mason jars as a display for Christmas. I want to put different things in them. Thanks.

I REMEMBER NECCO CANDY AS A KID……
    YOU GET A LOT IN A ROLL AND IT WAS ONLY FIVE CENTS……..LOVE THE JAR….THAT IS VERY VINTAGE….DON’T SEE THEM LAYING AROUND…TODAY IS LIKE SPRING HERE IN NJ….HAVE A NICE DAY….RIZZI

I would turn it on it’s side and do a little winter scene using that removable stickum stuff and bottle brush tress etc..Maybe a woodland scene with pinecones and moss..oh dear I’ll be thinking of ideas all day..must stop.
    xx
    z

I LOVE it! The shape is Awsome! I never find things like that here. :( I went to some consignment shops yesterday just to look around, but nothing caught my eye. I usually see something, but not yesterday. You come up with such great ideas that I just know you will WOW us with what ever you put in it.

I suggest you put Don in there for he is obviously a keeper!!
    Seriously I can see it filled with oddment balls of multi coloured yarn.
    Have a good week Claudia
    Hugs Alveen

Boy, I love Don’s way of thinking. I have four old jars, all different, sitting on top of an old medicine chest. At this time of year they get filled with all kinds of different peppermints! I love the idea of the jar on its side and a winter scene!

That is a good looking vintage jar! It does remind me of the Chrysler building! A bottle brush tree and a little snow in the bottom is the first thing that came to mind but Christmas cookies and then after the season is over it could be just anything you want. Nice find and nice “husband”!~Hugs, Patti

What a wonderful find! For the holidays you can fill it ornaments or holiday candy. Afterwards, maybe it can visit your sewing studio and hold spools of thread or buttons.

I love the idea of a little brush tree decorated with miniature ornaments (you can get them online) and little wrapped packages surrounding it. Or, I would fill it with Christmas lights.

Cookie cutters, measuring spoons,love letters, feathers….

Animal crackers, gold fish crackers, cracker jacks, fortune cookies, dreams and wishes, hershey hugs and kisses…

That jar has been in my mind all day. I just LOVE it. I know I have seen one like it somewhere. Maybe not quite the same shape, but where I do not know. The lid especially looks formiliar. Like I said it has been running through my brain all day.

Colour me green! There would have been an unseemly scuffle I’m afraid, had I entered that shop at the same time as you!! It is *beautiful* … perfect, effortlessly elegant Art Deco. I know you will treasure it :D

Fabulous find. definitely meant for you. I love glass storage jars and use them for buttons, lace, seashells, old spools of thread, glass ornaments……well you get the picture :)

Claudia,
    I just found your entry as I was frantically searching online for this jar. I found it by searching for its picture. i just lost my mother and the family is having a difficult time. On top of it, mt daughter accidentally broke the Necco Wafer jar that was one of her most cherished possessions. I used it when my chldren were young and the loss is felt by the whole family. If ever you come across another one, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. I know it wouldn’t be the exact sme one, but it sure would tqke away some of the loss.
    Thank you.