Tinkered Treasures – the Book!

I’ve been blogging for almost five years (next week) and early on, I met Elyse Major, who blogs at Tinkered Treasures. We became friends. Over time, we’ve done a swap, we’ve emailed back and forth, we’ve talked on the phone, and we’ve given each other presents and advice and encouragement. We were lucky enough to meet each other 3 years ago, almost to the day, when I was in Providence on business.

elyseandme

We had brunch together and it was as if we had known each other forever. If I hadn’t had to be at a rehearsal, we could have talked all afternoon. Elyse is a wonderful writer. She is also a tinkerer, making charming and wonderful things from simple, everyday items you can find around the house or at your local craft store – always in her distinctive Elyse-style. She has always had a dream to write professionally  – and she does. You’ll find her byline in many of your favorite decorating magazines. Now, she has realized another dream – to have a book published.

Cico Books graciously sent me a copy of Elyse’s new book, Tinkered Treasures, to review.

elysebook

Elyse describes her transformations as ‘tinkering’ because there is a sense of play involved. Tinkering is about “leaving behind any worries of perfection and appreciating the flaws. Tinkering is about making a little time to add playful details to your life.” If you’ve seen any of Elyse’s creations, you’ve seen that playful spirit. I’ve been the recipient of many Elyse creations. Here are a few:

elysemytreasures

The tinkered can? Adorable and on page 60 in the book under the heading Desk Tidy.

elyseclothespins

The clothespins? I have many and I love them. On page 28.

elyseclothespindoll

This adorable clothespin doll? Page 30.

By now you’re getting a sense of Elyse’s whimsical, sweet, and refreshingly down-to-earth style. That style is beautifully realized in the design and layout of the book, with charming illustrations and clear, easy-to-read directions for each project.

elysebookpage

elysebookpage2

What can I say? It’s a wonderful book. These are easy-to-make projects. Fun projects. Elyse has been making these tinkered treasures for a long time – offering them in her Etsy shop, sending them to a friend just because, all the while playfully creating things from clothespins, cans, fabric scraps, jars.

I love it when I see a book of this type that is so true to the author’s sense of style. There’s not a false note. And I love it even more when someone who has a long-held dream makes that dream come true. I couldn’t be happier for my friend. And I can honestly highly recommend this wonderful, tinkered-treasure-filled book. It’s available on Amazon and is being officially published on February 14th.

elyseflyleaf

There she is. Doesn’t she look pretty? And happy? Hurrah, Elyse! And hurrah for anyone fortunate enough to buy this book. You will love it.

Happy Monday.

signature2

Comments

1. Tana says

This definitely looks like my kind of book. I even have a Amazon gift card! Thanks for the recommendation. I am almost done with “Into the Darkest Corner”. Wow. It’s really a page turner for sure. And SCARY!!

I’m a longtime fan of Elyse’s blog and work and am so thrilled for her success as a published author! Can’t wait to see this beautiful book in person. xo

Very nice picture of you both, I’m glad you had the opportunity to finally meet! I have followed Elyse’s blog for a long time, I know I’d just love her book. I’m so happy for her!

XO,
    Jane

dear claudia,

this beautiful and thoughtful review has me speechless and touched. i hope that my parents are reading this over my shoulder, somehow. i think they are.

thank you from the bottom of my heart.

xo
    elyse

Hi Claudia,
    How very sweet of you to tell us about Elyse’s new book. I love her pretty little creations and I’ll be looking for her book.

hugs
    Sissie

The next best thing to having your great book published is having a good friend that is a book reviewer! I’ll be looking for her book.

Congratulations to Elyse on her new book! I will definitely look for it!

I love tinkering with things, which led to my Altoids tin icon prayer shrines and other little things that I have made. It is so much fun to make things!

I can’t wait to check out Elyse’s blog as well! Thanks for the tip, Claudia!

Elyse’s book looks absolutely delightful, Claudia, full of beautiful but *manageable* projects. (So often they’re either one or the other, I find.) It’s lovely finding ways to repurpose items into lovely gifts. I was looking at her blogs and noticed she, too, can’t bear to part with pretty tissue boxes and makes them into gift tags! A girl after my own heart. Thanks so much for sharing this information. This is a book I’m going to be looking for!

Claudia,
    I already love the book and I haven’t even read it! If there are projects like your photos they are charming! Hurray for your friend Elyse! I love it when people can make their dreams a reality and love cheering them on! It’s wonderful that you both made a connection through blogging and have remained friends. I’ve met a few people through blogging that I would love to meet in person. This book will be added to my wish list!