Macros and Miniatures

dhatthetable

Early morning at the dollhouse. Perhaps some leftover coffee cake along with your coffee? The owner, whose name is Caroline, by the way, is just plain tuckered out after all the Christmas celebrations. She has a couple of days off and she’s planning on kicking back; reading, crafting, listening to music, watching old movies.

dhtray

I’ve mentioned this lovely tray before. I got it from Léa Frisoni, an amazing miniaturist. She has a shop in Paris (someday!) and wrote a book Le Grand Livre de la Maison Miniature (The Big Book of the Miniature House.) When I ordered the tray, I briefly considered ordering her book, but the cost of shipping was so high that I couldn’t do it. But recently, while emailing back and forth with my friend, Norma, a miniaturist who lives in Australia, Norma mentioned that she got the book through Amazon. Oh boy!

I did some sleuthing, found it at a shop in this country, and sent the link to a certain someone I live with.

Hint, hint.

leasbook

And here it is! It’s a gorgeous book, with lots of photos of Léa’s work, along with instructions for all sorts of things; building a house, building furniture, flooring, paneling….

It’s in French. I studied French for many years but my skills are rusty, at best. Thank goodness for Google Translate.  I am anxious to start in on some of the projects. It’s so exciting to have a sumptuous coffee table sized book on miniatures.

In fact, it’s on the coffee table in the den as I write this.

I also got these Macro Filters for my camera (another link that was emailed to a certain someone.) Jen suggested these when I bemoaned the lack of funds for a macro lens for my camera. These are an inexpensive alternative to a macro lens and I’ve just started playing with them. They’re useful in all sorts of places, but most especially in the dollhouse. Thanks so much for the tip, Jen!

Lazy describes our day yesterday. And, most likely, our day today. We both read a lot during the day, Don put salt down on the driveway, we took a walk (it was cold!), we watched my copy of Swing Time, my favorite Astaire and Rogers film.

Last night’s sunset, unedited and right from the camera:

boxingdaysunset

Happy Friday.

ClaudiaSignature140X93

Comments

1. Dottie in Missouri says

I think I remember you mentioning this grand book in a post. You wanted it so much then! So happy that Don took the hint!

• Claudia says

He did, Dawn. We gave each other very specific requests and so we sort of knew what we were getting.

Claudia, you’ve done it now…I must find a dollhouse of my own. Steve made a sweet one for our daughter when she was a child and we loved it to pieces, literally. I had one of those stamped metal ones in the 50s that I treasured, but it seems to have disappeared after I left home.
    Christmas was different here, of course, but we had a lovely time. Another first behind us.
    Thanks for all the beautiful pictures you post, they brighten my day.
    Happy New Year! Imagine 2014, wherever has the time gone?

• Claudia says

I’m glad to hear you made it through this difficult Christmas. I know it was bittersweet, but the face that you had a lovely time is good news, Hedy.
      Happy New Year to you!

3. Donnamae says

Thanks for the backstory on Caroline…it helps to know who lives there! Sounds like Don did real good! Enjoy another lazy day…I’m going to have one too! ;)

4. Nancy Blue Moon says

I vote for another lazy day too Claudia..I think we have all earned it..and if we didn’t..let’s take it anyway..lol..

5. Janet in Rochester says

Claudia, one of my high school majors was French [plus I took an additional year in college]. I predict that you’ll be surprised at how quickly it all comes back to you. Thirty five years out and I can still read fairly well once I get going. Of course if I had to write [or speak intelligently] it would be a somewhat-different story but… PS – my other high school majors were music and home ec. Eclectic, huh? LOL. Have a great weekend…

• Claudia says

Eclectic, indeed! I’m picking up a little, but I just spent about 45 minutes translating instructions to make a chair! Most of it translated well, but some of it was funny and wrong!

I noticed your little tray straight away….it looks lovely! Not wanting to brag….but saw Lea again when I was in Paris. “Paris Creations” (doll show) was on while I was there and Lea had all her beautiful miniatures on display….(& for sale). She is such a lovely lady…… I am thrilled to see that you bought her book, but how could you have possibly waited so long (LOL) I have had mine for years and still enjoy it as if I had only bought it yesterday.
    Wishing you a VERY Happy New Year.
    Linda x

• Claudia says

I’d love to meet her some day, but first I have to get to Paris. I’ve never been.
      The answer to how could I wait so long? $$$ (There’s always something else that is a priority!)
      I really love it and I’m going to try and make one of the metal chairs as a first project.
      xo

hi claudia!

the top image is so beautiful!!! gosh, you could create a set of post cards. it’s lovely!!! i found a dollhouse on the curb last year and it waits in my basement for me to give it some time and mojo. your little house looks amazing!

wishing you a bright, healthy and prosperous 2014!

xo
    elyse

• Claudia says

Get going on that dollhouse, Elyse! You’ll get hooked awfully quickly.
      Happy New Year, my friend! xo

How wonderful that you got your book. Just relaxing sounds wonderful. I will do that next week when I return home. XO Laura

I am completely in love with that tray, and could you please tell me where you found that beautiful rose wallpaper?

I love how pretty you’re making your dollhouse. It’s refreshing seeing someone else loving miniatures the way I do.

Kristin

• Claudia says

I found it at itsybitsymini.com – that’s where I found all of the wallpaper in the dollhouse. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the dollhouse posts!

Just went through your last few posts (I’ve been away from blogs for a few days)…sounds like you had a lovely Christmas (and a white one – yay!) and are enjoying some relaxing days with Don. My Christmas was OK – just glad it’s over. Have been busy around the house, taking down all the Christmas decor and cleaning out the basement.

LOVE the dollhouse pics you’re getting with your new lens, the depth of field in them is SO realistic. Don made such a terrific job of organising the delivery of such fabulous gifts Santa should promote him to Chief Elf :)

That’s a gorgous little tray of Lea’s, I don’t remember seeing it before. Good luck with the chair – I think it took me about 3 hours to make mine. Some of the Google translations are a bit amusing aren’t they, from memory it sometimes translates paint as milk. Even with the language difficulties it’s such a lovely book to have though, I can spend ages just dreaming over the pictures.

Beautiful pic of the sunset – aren’t they fabulous this time of year?
    The book must be awesome for your hobby Claudia – your dollhouse is such fun to see.
    Hugs – Mary