Snow, A Table & A Party

snowymorning

Brrrr. There’s nothing like waking up at 6 am, grabbing a coat, hat and gloves and shoveling a path for Scout. Up the little hill, all the way around the dog corral and back down the hill again. Barely awake, coffee yet to be consumed, no bodily strength whatsoever. Like a wet noodle.

I came back in the door, ordered Scout outside, and collapsed in the chair.

I am just now coherent enough to start to write a post. There’s clearly a lot of shoveling on the docket for the day. I have no idea how much snow fell – several inches, for sure – but thank goodness it’s powdery. It wasn’t the heavy, wet kind that is so tough to shovel. It’s windy and cold here, with a wind chill that is taking the temp down to the zero mark. Tonight’s low will be 7 below zero. Yikes.

This is the time of year that I go into my fantasy world and pretend I’m back in Southern California with the warm sun on my face. A girl can dream, can’t she?

dhworktable

This arrived yesterday. It’s my work table for the Craft/Studio/Office room in the dollhouse. Isn’t it perfect? I haven’t decided whether I’m going to stain it or paint it. I may stain it, simply because so many pieces of furniture in the dollhouse are painted. Then again, I may paint it.

Christmas-Ornament-Party-Button

I want to tell you about two things. The first is a neat idea that my friend Dawn of Creative Cain Cabin came up with. Lucky me – Dawn asked me to co-host the party with her. It’s the Christmas Critter Felt Along. We’re going to be making 2 felt Christmas ornaments each month. Early in the month, we will post photos of the two ornaments, along with patterns and directions and a list of materials and then later in the month we will host a linky party where we can share our creations. So, by next Christmas, you can have 24 new ornaments. You can give them as gifts, or save them for your own tree. Here’s the neat thing: these are so quick and easy to make that you will be able to put them together in no time at all.

And you can make each one for about 20 cents. It’s that inexpensive. Dawn has written a great post about it today. Go on over and visit her post, and you’ll get an idea of what we will be making. So simple, yet so adorable. We will be posting the first two ornaments on January 8th, with directions and a list of materials, along with our own versions of each ornament.

I’d love to have you join in. I think it will be fun. And it takes very little time, which is a big plus for me!

I’m extremely late in posting this, blame it on the holidays, but the winner of a copy of The Seduction of Miriam Cross is Gina! I’ve already contacted Gina. I have some more reviews coming up in February, so there will be more opportunities to win.

Happy Friday.

ClaudiaSignature140X93

Comments

Claudia it is 18 below here today and we have ice on the inside of our door handles, something that has never happened before. I have never thought of shoveling for our dog, she would be right out there with me trying to take the shovel from me thinking it was a stick to play with. Stay warm :)

• Claudia says

Yikes, Dawn! That’s seriously cold when there is ice on the inside of your doors! Scoutie has arthritis, so I try to make it as easy as possible for her to get around, especially when walking up snowy and slippery hills!

Hi Claudia…….I can just about see you peeking out from all that snow, wow!!!! And SO cold up there too! We have quite cold temps but lots of sunshine this morning – not a flake seen yet!
    Love the island/craft table – I think you will end up painting it just to fill in some of that ‘stuck inside’ time and to prevent cabin fever!
    As for the felt ornaments – OMG they are just adorable and perhaps I’ll join in – haven’t been doing much sewing these past few years with all the time away from home, this project may work for me. Being many of them are animals and birds I see right here outside the window, I would love having them to decorate my little tree next holiday season.
    Take care shoveling – and make sure Ms. Scoutie wears her snow boots, haha!
    MaryX

3. Tina says

I feel for you having to shovel the doo doo path for Scout. I showed the photo to Louis to let him know how lucky he is to be a cat. He is standing flush against his heater howling because even that is not hot enough for him. I love those ornaments. So homey. Well, back to the grindstone as I am working from home today. Stay warm and safe everyone!

4. Debbie says

I will join in making some of these ornaments, it seems a good way to pass the time on these cold winter days. Stay warm!

Scout is a lucky girl…I make Greta fend for herself! The snow is beautiful, we have more coming this weekend.

• Claudia says

I don’t know what our forecast is, and I can’t bring myself to listen to it yet! We’re in the midst of shoveling at this moment. Just took a break.

I adore snow but don’t think I’d cope well if I had as much as you or needed to do early morning shovelling. I laughed at you ordering the dog out as you went in and thought how cruel pet owners are, but I used to do exactly the same when I was cat sitting my sisters cat many, many years ago. It used to wake me at 3am so that I could open the door and let it out. I duly staggered up opened the back door and the cat looked at the rain, plonked itself down and made to sit there till the rain went off. It took a moment or two for it to dawn on me what he was up to before I cupped my hands round his haunches and gently ‘helped’ him over the threshold before shutting the door on his outraged face. I am so thankful for my housecats in the foul weather. I’ve been loving reading your blog since your sis Meredith linked to it.

• Claudia says

Well, she was standing at the door and I made her wait while I shoveled. Then, when I got back inside, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to go out….oh no, Miss Scout, you’re going out!

I thought about you when I watched the weather report last night and hoped all was safe in your home. Many thanks for the book win!! I replied with my address. Let me know if you didn’t get it. Dawn’s idea is a good one, but I don’t think I want to think about Christmas ornaments for a long while.

I won’t commit to participating (my own little ☀Sunlit Sunday meme is restarting this weekend, just for 3 months) but I took a look at your friend’s blog. There is a photo of a rather gorgeous chickadee that may well need a home on my tree next year.

Have fun with your new project, Claudia.

-Karen

• Claudia says

You can join in once or twice if you want to – it’s all up to you. You certainly don’t have to commit to 12 months! xo

The ornament idea is great. I’ll think about joining. I have so many other projects. But this appeals because if I did it, I’d have finished product in hand and that’s always satisfying.
    Such cold. And here we are on the west coast with just a touch of frost this morning – chilly for us, but I like it better than the incessant grey we’ve been having. Stay cozy and warm.

• Claudia says

It’s very, very cold at the moment, Lorrie. I had to keep coming back in the house to warm my hands up (while shoveling.) I need warmer gloves!

10. Donnamae says

It is still bitter cold here too…11 below last nite, with more to come. You could look upon shoveling as a chance to work out…or not! Either way…it is tiresome. Cute little table just as it is. You’ve peaked my interest with the felted ornaments…gonna check it out! Enjoy the snow…and don’t work too hard! ;)

11. Janie F. says

Your Scoutie is a lucky girl Claudia to have a mom who goes out to shovel snow without coffee first. It was about 41 here in Fla. this morning. Not too cold but the wind feels icy. The sun is finally shining for the first time in days so that’s a treat. I got a break today, no kids to watch. Carl & I are taking some donations to a thrift store since we have a free day. I didn’t make a comment yesterday but I’m so glad you are getting that much needed bed. We need a new one in the worst way and that’s something we’re determined will happen sometime this year. The ornaments are adorable.

• Claudia says

I hope you get that new bed, Janie. I still feel a bit guilty buying one, when there are so many other things we need to get done here, but I’m sick of feeling sore every morning!

Count me in…I have been wanting to make some little felt birds for my woodland tree, that stays up all year. These will be perfect.
    Getting to your shoveling for Scout. We used to shovel a big circle in our front yard for our Springer, Laddie. Laddie would go out and jump in the snow around the circle and do his business. Swirling and twirling in the deep snow.Guess he thought the shoveled part was for us.
    Balisha

13. Nancy Blue Moon says

I would love to join Claudia and Dawn..I see a lot of these critters on my property here so it is more than a Christmas project for me..I was thinking that they would be so cute made into a garland or two for decorating year round..Thanks for doing this!..As for the weather..I refuse to leave the house today! Stay warm everyone!

Oh! You are amazing! Hope you’ve thawed out now. I know we rise to challenges we think we could never manage but I think jumping out of bed unprimed by caffein (and warmth!) and shoveling snow in the freezing cold would do this wussie Californian in for sure. Hurray for Scouts mommy!
    Love your new table, look forward to seeing what you do with it. And the Felt Along sounds terrific! Sounds like a great way to stay motivated and get things made and it’s always so much fun to see everyone’s. Can’t wait for the 8th to see the first patterns.
    Happy weekend ! xo

• Claudia says

Scout’s mommy is exhausted, Sally!
      I think the felt along is a great idea for simple projects that are not time consuming – and are fun!

• Claudia says

Hi Linda! So very nice to meet you. Thank you so much for stopping by and I’m so glad you’re going to join in on the Felt Along!

Oh that first photo is just winter dreamy. I have to tell you our weather forecast is the opposite extreme out here in CA. (northern specifically). We have the mild extreme. It’s been soo soo dry and warm and we see very little precipitation on the horizon. It is worrisome in it’s own way. We went up to Tahoe recently and it is beautiful, but bare. Still, nice to be toasty either layered and sheltered or walking about. Stay warm!

• Claudia says

You need precipitation, especially with California’s history of forest fires. Here’s hoping you get some rain. Such strange extremes everywhere in the past year.

16. Janet in Rochester says

Your little crafting table is a dead ringer for one I have. My mom found it for $5 – seriously – at a garage sale about 20 years ago. She stripped the old finish off it, then I spent an entire Spring & Summer sanding it on Saturday afternoons in my parents’ back yard, in between doing loads of laundry. And I learned something – I LOVE TO SAND WOOD. It’s incredibly soothing, like petting a dog or cat for hours. I should hire myself out to cabinetmakers and woodworkers who hate sanding their projects! Anyway, then Mom painted it white all over except for the desktop surface, which she treated with Danish oil. When Mom died it came to me. I had a glass topper made for it and use it in a corner of my dining room with a pretty lamp, the phone and desk-y things. For once I’m grateful for extreme cold – it DOES deliver light, fluffy snow – rather than the heavy wet stuff we get when it’s 30 degrees. Take care digging out and have a great weekend!

• Claudia says

You’re welcome to come here to sand things anytime, Janet! Yes, thank goodness for the light snow, it made shoveling, which is always grueling, much easier today!

Your snow and cold is exactly what we had here in the Chicago area. Sorry I sent it your way. I wonder if you’ll be getting the truly bitter cold that we’re due to get here on Monday. The high temp of the day is slated to be 12 to 16 below zero! Cute idea about the felt ornaments but unfortunately, this non-crafter won’t be joining you. I’ll have to enjoy the photos. :-)

• Claudia says

Very bitter cold due tonight, Melanie. Stay warm, my friend. I know you’ve had a lot of snow and cold!

18. Sandra says

We are facing the artic blast here in MI too. brrrr, do keep warm and safe.
    Claudia, I am very interested in the felt ornament project but need to ask you a question, please. :o)
    I have never worked with felt and have no craft shops within an hours drive. Amazon offers a sample bag of 3″x3″ squares. Would these be large enough to do these projects? The colors are lovely. Anyway, any help in this would be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

I love your little table. It will be cute stained….or…painted…lol
    That sounds like a great fun project with the felt ornaments. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.
    Hope you had a great stay-warm day- xo Diana

That picture of the snow looks so wonderfuI.
    Would like to join this group of felt artists, although I do not know if I can make 24 ornaments.
    They are very beautiful!