• I saw a bluebird drinking out of the birdbath the other day. I never see bluebirds around here except in the fall or early winter. I didn’t have time to take a picture. Then I saw our resident bluejay chasing 3 or 4 bluebirds away. (Maybe they’re on their way to warmer climes?)
This is the best I could do. He was a long way off, so I used my zoom lens. Trust me, he’s a bluebird. Or she. I love bluebirds and I see them so rarely!
That darned bluejay was chasing lots of birds away, the bugger. I was upstairs at one point, sitting at my desk, and I heard a loud squawking. He was right outside my window, talking to me!
• This is what it looked like around here last night:
I had to bring in all the plants from the porch as the temperature was going down to 31°. Tonight? 28°. I would have left them inside for the day, but the guy was coming from the alarm company, so we had to move them all back outside. Back inside tonight. Since the overnight temps will warm up to the forties after tonight, I’m hanging on to these plants as long as I can.
I covered up the barrels of geraniums with sheets. And this morning, I hacked through the ice in the birdbath so the birdies can get a drink. I am still seeing robins and finches and cardinals (they hang around all winter) and the bluejay, of course. The other day, my sweet mourning dove was drinking from the birdbath.
• I hadn’t lost my mind! Look what I found among the books on my bookshelves – Plates.
Gosh, I love these books. I also forgot to mention another favorite magazine, also no longer available: Flea Market Style. It came out quarterly. I’ve been looking through some back issues that I saved. I really miss it. Another sob.
• This was my Instagram post yesterday. And it still looks like this today! I’m dining on oatmeal and raisins with some apple cider, syrup and tahini added. Mmmm! And of course, you can see my favorite coffee mug.
• Alarm problem solved. The repairman replaced the sensor.
• Finally, last night’s sunset. Beautiful.
Someone who lives in this house with me is preparing a guest post for the blog. I won’t say who. It will be up tomorrow or Friday.