When I took the sketch of Scout to Michael’s a couple of weeks ago in order to find the right frame, I decided to also take the Maxfield Parrish that arrived at our cottage with all of the glass broken. It had been sitting in a corner of my office, covered in protective fabric, until I could get around to dealing with it. I knew it needed new glass, but when I measured it, I quickly discovered it was an odd size. It had been framed many, many years ago – most likely in the 1920s – and the backing was fragile.
So, off I went. The woman working in the frame department was so helpful; she carefully removed all the nails, and gently removed the print. Thank goodness, I didn’t just opt for a piece of glass. The corrugated cardboard used as backing had left its mark on the back of the print, so we caught it just in time. After discussing many options, I decided to stay with the original frame and spacers were added, as well as new glass and acid-free backing. The logo from the original framer in New Orleans was carefully cut out and tucked in a little envelope on the back.
Instead of getting an estimate, I ended up going ahead with the order, and yesterday, it was ready.
It won’t look all that different to you, but I know it’s been given the correct acid-free backing and that spacers are between the print and the glass, and that it looks more beautiful than ever!
Of course, all this cost me nearly as much as the print, thank you very much. On the other hand, if I had left it as is, the print would have soon been damaged, so I’m choosing to think of it as an unexpected blessing.
When we first purchased it, I told Don I pictured it hanging on the wall near my desk, in my soon-to-be office space. And there it is.
I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to look over to my right and see Dinky Bird by Maxfield Parrish hanging on the wall.
The machine embroidery of Scout was also ‘framed’ yesterday and looks much better than it does in this picture. I stretched it on a small canvas and it’s now leaning against the wall on the left side of my desk.
In case you think my desk is always neat, here is what I shoved to the side to take the picture of the Parrish.
Then, of course, I was on a roll, so I decided to finally do something about the bulletin board and mini pottery, etc., that are hanging on the wall between the china cabinet and the corner. They were much too close together because I added the bulletin board a few weeks after I hung ‘Claudia’ and the mini pottery.
I’m inventing a new word: Spanging. Definition: when, in the midst of hanging something on the wall, many mistakes are made with the unhappy byproduct being unnecessary holes in the wall, resulting in the person who is hanging the object simultaneously spackling the holes and rehanging the object.
That’s what I did yesterday. I had the same trouble when I originally hung everything. It’s because all three objects are hanging in a corner and the desk is in the way and I’m working under a slanted ceiling, so my body is torqued and I just can’t get things even.
It’s dark in this corner this morning, but you get the picture. And of course, I took the picture at an angle for the same reasons given above. But trust me, everything is level and there’s much more space between the bulletin board and Claudia and the mini pottery. It needed breathing space.
Sigh. Here’s my view out the window as I’m sitting at my desk.
I’m shooting directly into the light, of course, so it’s a bit blurry, but there’s the mountain ridge. The trees have obligingly provided an opening so I can see the mountains. Thank you!
Flower of the day:
My favorite daylilies are opening in the big garden bed.